Whatever sport you love, baseball, football, soccer, there’s likely an app for that. You can even find some apps specific to your favorite teams, leagues, and tournaments. But if you enjoy all sports and want a quick and easy way to check a game score on your break at work or while waiting for a cab, these are the best iPhone apps for sports scores.
ESPN: Live Sports & Scores
When you first open the ESPN app, you can add your preferred sports right off the bat. With everything from the NFL and MLB to the World Cup and NASCAR, you’re definitely covered. You can then move onto to pick your favorites teams. With each pick of a sport or team, you’ll get handy alerts that you can customize.
Tap the Scores tab at the bottom and get the scores for top events, leagues, or dates. Tap the Highlights button next to a score to see videos of notable moments from the game. For upcoming events, tap the Bell icon and customize alerts so you’re ready before it even starts.
Other ESPN notable features:
- The Home screen offers your favorite teams’ news, top headlines, and stories relating to the sports you enjoy.
- The Watch area lets you check out live events, see what’s coming up, watch replays, and look at ESPN originals.
- Get team and player stats while you watch live events.
- Browse and listen to featured podcasts, live radio, or events.
ESPN is a favorite itself when it comes to sports. The app, just like the TV channels, cover the gamut of about any type of game, team, event, and news in the world of sports.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, iMessage, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Android, and the web
- Cost: Free with in-app subscription purchases for ESPN+ which gives you live streaming on your device.
theScore: Sports News & Scores
For another great sports score app, check out theScore. Similar to ESPN, you can start your experience by choosing your favorite sports and then teams. Next, customize your alerts so that you get notifications for exactly what you want.
Tap the Scores tab and your favorites are listed right at the top. Just scroll down to see scores for all games and leagues. You can also use the dates at the top to see scores from events further back. If you tap an event, you’ll get a complete rundown of the details you might have missed.
Other theScore notable features:
- The News screen gives you the latest on your favorite sports and teams, featured stories, and convenient Send or Save buttons.
- The Favorites area lets you customize and filter what you see for a great view of just what you need.
- The Discover section is cool for exploring other types of sports and events that might interest you.
- Sign up for a free account for saving and managing favorites, updating your league order, and saving bookmarks.
For more than meets the eye when it comes to sports score apps, theScore is a true winner. The extra features make it stand out and it’s completely free with no strings attached.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Android
- Cost: Free
Yahoo Sports: Scores & News
Yahoo Sports has been a big name in, yes, sports for quite some time. And the Yahoo Sports app is terrific for scores and news. Just like the other two on our list, you start off by picking your preferred sports and favorite teams so that you can receive alerts.
Tap the Scores tab and you’ll see featured leagues and events at the top with your favorites right below. You can scroll through the rest of the scores available or pick one and see details for recent games, game facts and previews, rankings, and more.
Other Yahoo Sports notable features:
- The Home screen shows your favorite teams, today’s games, and featured stories.
- The Watch area lets you view videos from events and share them easily.
- The Stories section gives you cards to browse through for more content to check out.
- The Play area is where you want to head for Yahoo Fantasy fun.
Yahoo Sports is another excellent app for getting the scores you want from the events and teams you like the most. And its bonus features, as well as the fantasy league option, give it just that little extra you might be looking for.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, iMessage, Apple TV, Android, and the web
- Cost: Free
Wrapping up these iPhone sports score apps
If you have to miss your favorite team’s game or that tournament you’ve been waiting for, these apps can keep you up to date and in the loop. With scores and so much more, they are each excellent options.
Do you already use one of these apps or do you have a different sports score app you’d like to recommend? Let us know in the comments below!
And for more great apps, check out our other “Best Of” app lists.
This article was originally posted here