Do you have a 13-inch non Touch Bar MacBook Pro? You may be eligible for a free SSD fix as part of an Apple service program.
Apple has a service program to repair potentially faulty SSD drives in some 13-inch non Touch Bar MacBook Pro notebooks. The computers were sold between 2017 and 2018 and the program covers the free service for owners up to three years from the date of purchase.
If you previously paid for an SSD repair on an affected eligible MacBook Pro, it may be possible to receive a refund by contacting Apple.
How to check if your MacBook Pro is eligible for a free SSD fix
- Make sure you have a 13-inch non Touch Bar MacBook Pro ( → About this Mac)
- Enter the serial number from the About this Mac page into Apple’s eligibility checker here
- If your MacBook Pro is eligible, get in touch with Apple Support
More information on Apple’s 13-inch MacBook Pro SSD service program:
This program does not affect 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar or older 13-inch MacBook Pro models.
Your 13-inch MacBook Pro will be examined prior to service to verify that it is eligible for this program and in working order.
Prior to service, it’s important to do a full back up of your data because your drive will be erased as part of the service process.
- A technician will run a utility to update your drive firmware which will take approximately one hour or less.
- Your 13-inch MacBook Pro will be returned to you with macOS re-installed.
- After service, you will need to restore your data from a backup.
Since your computer will not be able to access the internet until after you do a restore, we recommend that you have another device, such as your iPhone, to view the Apple support article about restoring your data from backup.
Note: Any files that were already corrupted prior to service, cannot be restored.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
This article was originally posted here